Pronto-Stuffed Pasta Shells
*recipe originally from Southern Living Magazine (Aug 2007) but tweaked by me
Yield: 4-6 servings
18 jumbo pasta shells (about half a box)
2 10-oz. packages frozen chopped spinach
2 cups chopped roasted chicken
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
1 16-oz. container low-fat cottage cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 (16 oz) jar pasta sauce of your choosing (I used Alfredo)
1. Prepare pasta shells according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, defrost and wring spinach in towels to dry well.
3. Stir together spinach, chicken, basil, and next 4 ingredients. Spoon mixture evenly into shells.
4. Spread half of jarred pasta sauce in a lightly greased 13x9 pan. Stuff and arrange shells in the pan, and pour remaining sauce on top.
5. Bake, covered, at 350 for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes.
- The pan fits exactly 18 shells: two rows of 7, and 4 shells sideways down the middle. So don't just dump the box in the water! Count, people!
- I bought a rotisserie chicken pre-cooked from the store and used half of it in this recipe and will use half in enchiladas later in the week. If I hadn't done that, I assume 2 breasts roughly equal 2 cups.
- This tastes VERY spinachy. If you don't love spinach, skip this one.
Quick & Easy is not just for the bedroom!
- Pronto-Stuffed Pasta Shells